Monday, September 15, 2008

Week Three

So I was thinking about Social Bookmarking, and I really like the idea. I never understood what it was all about but all three of the articles this week explained the concept thoroughly. I personally enjoyed the "Social Bookmarking in Plain English". Each of those mini-videos are informative and make the concept really clear. Social bookmarking is definitely a good tool to have as educators because it is a useful way to connect ideas within the education realm. Even though this process occurs through the Internet there is a sense of community, as the articles pointed out, because it's a means of bridging people together through common interests or necessities. I think that this idea is much the same as a blog. Even though there is not face-to-face interaction, a community of followers is created therefore mimicking a real-life relationship. People can use this tool to help others locate information or just share some really great ideas. I'm interested in creating a social bookmarking site because I know I am one of those people who has an extensive list of saved bookmarks and favorites that I can only access from my computer. Social bookmarking frees users from that obligation of needing his or hers own computer to access information. It also allows a "post" to be saved under various tags allowing more accessibility from different keywords. Another thing I enjoyed about these readings is the podcast of the last article. I have never heard a podcast before so it was interesting to listen to the article being read to me as I read it for myself and that's what I was thinking...

No comments: